Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Constant diarrhea, He has been dewormed, put on probiotics

Customer Question
Constant diarrhea JA: I'll do...
Constant diarrhea
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: He has been dewormed, put on probiotics and Imodium. All tests are negative for any parasite or worm or disease.
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bear. 14 weeks. Very happy and lively. No problems running around. Eats and drinks perfectly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Other than the diarrhea, he's a perfectly good pup.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately if there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues. Bear is a bit young for these but it is still a possibility that there is an underlying process for Bear causing the diarrhea.

So that leaves you with a few options

1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial he cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies

2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it (I am unsure which one you are using, prostora and fortiflora are both meat based probiotics).

3.) Unfortunately if the diarrhea does not change or becomes looser throughout the day then the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout and possible endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery

4.) Lastly, there is a blood test to ensure the pancreas is not part of the problem and this is a specific test called a tli, folate, cobalamin level that is sent to a lab in Texas to rule out this condition

I have a food allergy dog and this can be quite a challenging situation. She is on the royal canin h/p formula longterm and whenever she gets anything else she breaks with loose stools :(

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian