Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can I give Capstar to my OES, who has a history of

Customer Question

Can I give Capstar to my OES, who has a history of pancreatitis? I applied Frontline yesterday, but today he is still actively itching.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, there has been no correlation to Capstar triggering or exacerbating pancreatitis in sensitive patients. Though it can cause short term GI upset for some. Therefore, you could consider using this if you are still actively seeing fleas. And I would note that since we are seeing a lot of flea resistance to Frontline these days, you may want to switch to an alternative treatment in the future.

Otherwise, since itching is often due to the allergic reaction the flea's saliva triggers in the skin, you may want to ring his vet about using an OTC antihistamine like Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people) and it may be a better option for him as opposed to steroids (which could inflame the pancreas).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Benson. How is everything going?

Dr. B.