PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Altman! My pup (two years old now) has a very small patch of

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Altman!
My pup (two years old now) has a very small patch of dried skin on her hind quarter. It's flaking and is sort of pink. She doesn't scratch it, but the hair is getting thin around it. Also, three of her whiskers on the same side are somewhat swollen at the base. I'm not sure what to do!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It does not appear that Dr. Altman is currently on. If you're interested in working with another Expert, I'll be happy to assist. Can you answer some questions?

1) Do you have a picture to share of these areas?
2) Any known trauma or injury to the hind quarter or whisker pad
3) How long have each been present?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I appreciate you working with me.
1. I will attach a few pictures of both her whiskers and her hind quarter.
2. There has not been any trauma or injury that I know of.
3. The whisker bases have been more inflamed around the follicle over the last week and a half and the red patch on her thigh/buttock has been flaky for about a month now.

It's very possible that both of these are linked to allergies. The swollen whisker bases look like folliculitis, which is simply follicle inflammation. You can place neosporin on these as well as the patchy area on her limb. Something that may help with her treatment is using hibiclens (you can purchase at walmart) or a mild soap and cleaning the area 2x daily before applying neosporin after the fur is dry. You can also try a course of antihistamines to see if this helps with the symptoms. My favorite for dogs is zyrtec. You can purchase this OTC and the dosage is here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

If the follicles become open, red or being to ooze pus, or you find that the skin worsens, I would recommend having your vet check the area. It may take a few weeks before you'll see vast improvements on the skin and fur regrowth. Your vet may want to check for the presence of yeast if this does not improve.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you.

You're very welcome. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.