Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has had previcox for arthritis pain before. His hips

Customer Question
are hurting him, we are...
My dog has had previcox for arthritis pain before. His hips are hurting him, we are out of previcox and have appointment with vet tomorrow. Can we give him ibuprofen or naproxen tonight? He weighs 90 pounds.
Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I can help you tonight. Please DO NOT give your dog any over-the-counter human pain medications. They are all very toxic to dogs and can cause bleeding stomach ulcers, liver disease and kidney failure.

Also mixing anti-inflammatories in dogs is very risky, even if you have a different anti-inflammatory intended for dogs, like Rimadyl. Again, you can see vomiting, diarrhea and bleeding stomach ulcers.

You can give tramadol tonight for pain if you have any of that, but otherwise there no safe options for your dog. Sorry.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Hi, How is your dog today? Were you able to get him back on Previcox? Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian