Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is s 13 year Doxie Noticed last night very weak when I got home- had to carry her to bed and out to potty this

Customer Question
She is s 13 year...
She is s 13 year Doxie
Noticed last night very weak when I got home- had to carry her to bed and out to potty this morning/ have been giving water and she has eaten some cheese and very little dog food.
Noticed knots on her tummy very swollen/ she has had a couple fatty knots- but now tummy feels very tight and knots are hard.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Josie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Josie?
Customer: Just very weak- would not hardly walk- she is moving a bit today/ I kept her in the kennel in the house to keep her cool today so she could rest/
Worried with the knots if something else I should worry about or take her in the morning to a vet.
She had always been very healthy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is she willing to walk at all?
2) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
3) Any history of illness or injury?
4) Any pain?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is walking s bit today/ slowly
No vomit or pain

I would recommend that you plan a visit to your vet tomorrow.

The lumps you're seeing may well be benign fatty tumors that are common in older dogs. My concern is for her back. There's a condition in dogs, which tends to affect a lot of dachshunds, called IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. This can cause a wide variety of symptoms from tenderness to paralysis. Some dogs will show signs of abdominal issues though its truly their back that is hurting them. Because she's a senior and showing signs of being unwell, it's best to have her examined sooner than later.

I can also give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

More info on IVDD here, though keep in mind that she is not showing the more advanced signs, if this is what she has: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/

If she worsens overnight, definitely take her to the ER. Otherwise, tomorrow morning an exam with your vet should suffice.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

How is Josie doing today, JACustomer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She seems to have a little pep in her step this morning-
Not 100% but better for dure

This is good news. If this does happen to be IVDD, the potential exists for reinjury. I would still recommend a vet visit but if she is improving watching her closely also remains an option. Let me know if I can help you further.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian