Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Puppy's back legs suddenly unable to support weight, no

Customer Question
puppy's back legs suddenly unable...
puppy's back legs suddenly unable to support weight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound, it's as if her legs are too weak to hold her
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daphne
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daphne?
Customer: came from a high kill shelter two days ago, but has had two rounds of dhpp and one bordetella
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

Any chance of a fall or trauma?

Can she move her back legs on her own?

Can she pass urine and stool? All normal?

Has she been eating and drinking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She just started showing the signs. She was in the shelter three days ago, so we don't know what happened to her there. She can move her back legs, but one especially cannot hold her weight. Eating, drinking, pooping, peeing - all normal.

Thank you,

First, I am very glad to hear that she can move her back legs, even if she is weak. This is because it does rule out paralysis and a number of associated spinal issues. Now hopefully she hasn't had access to anything toxic, else that could be our culprit here. If we can rule that out ans since she is eating well and hasn't any chance of head trauma, we would need to turn our attentions to congenital organ based issues or infectious agents. In regards ***** ***** former, if we do have young pups with liver shunts or brain malformations (less likely if she was normal beforehand) we can see these kinds of signs. Though given her shelter background, we'd be concerned about these sudden signs being related to an infectious issue like viruses (ie Distemper), parasites (ie Toxoplasma or Neospora) or even bacterial infections of the brain.

With this all in mind, we'd be best to be proactive here. If she has just come from the shelter so recently, ring them and see if the shelter vet or the shelter's external vet can see her. They will be best to see her as they will be aware of what infectious agents may be present in the facility. They can perform a full neurological examination, check her liver function, and test for those aforementioned agents. Based on the results of these, they can help you pinpoint which issue is to blame and treatment can be initiated to help clear this and give her the best chance of recovery.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian