Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Standard poodle, age 10, 42 lbs. up all last night, pacing,

Customer Question
symptoms of bloat, but threw...
standard poodle, age 10, 42 lbs. up all last night, pacing, symptoms of bloat, but threw up 5 times and was fine. Today, no poop, just pee, went for a hike, ate only, some granola bar (honey, oats, nothing bad). Came home, ate usual pedigree canned dog food, jennie o turkey weeners, beneful healthy smile dental ridges (as a treat), and costco dog biscuits.
This is the usual diet, with no issues, for months. Took several hour nap. Ate some more pedigree.
Now she is pacing around, running inside. Goes outside, eats grass, and just has half burps.
Wants to throw up but cant. We are on vacation, no where near animal er.
Need advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi again,

Thanks for your question and sorry to hear about Lola. Does she still seem bloated at all? How is she in herself now? Is she panting? Does she seem painful or distressed? Where are you currently?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not panting, like she has fake hickkups, will let us pet her for a short time, then has to walk around.

Ok - thanks for that. I'm typing up a response now and will have this with you in the next few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are 25 miles north of Durango, Colorado

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience and sorry I am unable to take live calls right now. Lola's symptoms are definitely very concerning and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this pacing, vomiting and burping continues, or if she starts to have any breathing trouble, then you will need to make the drive to a nearby town to get her seen by an ER vet.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth. As she is likely quite nauseous, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you). If any of these parameters aren't right, or if she can't keep water down, then you will likely need to make the drive to Durango to find an after hours vet for Lola:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Lola and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully all of Lola's parameters mentioned above are normal. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

And should you need it tonight, the Alpine Animal Hospital in Durango take emergencies 24/7: Weekends call(###) ###-####/p>

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian