Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog has had diarrhea for the past 24 hrs. His mood is

Customer Question

Our dog has had diarrhea for the past 24 hrs. His mood is fine, but has lost interest in food. We have tried to feed him Hills I/D which we have done in the past when he has had this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- How old is your dog?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Breed?

5- Is he on any medications?

6- Weight?

7- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no blood in the stool. The stool is mostly water now.
He is a 9 year old cockapoo. He weighs approx. 40 lbs.
He has arthritis and is on metacam also he has low thyroid and is on medication for that.
Has vomited a bit but mostly bile.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- How long has it been since he vomited?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 hours ago
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Dozer, I am sorry your dog has diarrhea and does not want to eat, I am sure this must worry you. In response to your question, when we see diarrhea and vomiting these are symptoms of either primary disorders affecting the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. His lack of appetite is simply because he does not feel well. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. I would also stop Metacam until GI issues have resolved. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into the regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

5- If he continues to vomit despite fasting; Or, if you see bloody stool, lethargy, abdominal swelling, pale gums, etc. have him checked by ER veterinarian, do not wait.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter