Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog just chased a salamander under the bed. If she

Customer Question

My dog just chased a salamander under the bed. If she catches it, can it poison her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: She did not catch it. I cannot catch it. I isolated her in a room. She has to come out sometime.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No. She is 3 years old and chases anything that moves.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Yes, salamanders can be toxic to dogs. Most salamanders have glands that secrete a poisonous or foul-tasting fluid on the back of the neck or tail. Brightly colored ones have poisonous skins. There's quite a range of toxicity, however, depending upon the species of salamander and even between individuals within that species. Here's a good overview for you: http://www.savethesalamanders.com/poisonous-amphibians.html

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.