Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Running fever shaking saturday today vet said anal gland

Customer Question

running fever shaking saturday today vet said anal gland infected cleaned it out sent home with antibiotics my small dog eats but does not drink water vet not open on sundays any sugestions
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: coco 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about coco?
Customer: Iam worried about dehydration
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now we'd hope that as those antibiotics get to work, Coco's fever will settle. Though you do need to keep an eye on that and plan to have her seen once her vet is open if it doesn't do so over the weekend. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, we can counter that dehydration risk with a few home treatments. To start, you can tempt her with lactose free milk, low salt chicken broth, or even add a bit of meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free) to her water to flavor it for her. If she cannot be tempted by that, then feed canned food since it is 35% water and will get fluids into her. Or you can water down canned food or even soak her kibble in water to again get fluids in that way. Otherwise, worst case scenario, you can use any of the above and administer it via syringe feeding. If you need to do that, she will need a daily total dose of 48ml per kilogram of her weight. And that will meet her daily requirement and keep her hydrated until she can be seen for further treatment for this fever.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )