Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

8 mo old dauschund nose very swollen on both sides and she

Customer Question
is very lathargic. She was...
8 mo old dauschund nose very swollen on both sides and she is very lathargic. She was outside and i called her to come in. i immediately gave her a cool bath and crushed 1/2 bendryl 25mg with water and gave to her. Also made a paste of baking soda , put on her nose. She did eat 2 tiny bones when offered.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dachshund. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Ruby, 8 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ruby?
Customer: i touched her nose and it seemed like it was painful to her.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very sorry to hear about poor Ruby's sudden swelling on her nose.

The most common cause of sudden facial/lip swelling or red spots and welts is an allergic reaction.

This is usually related to an insect bite or sting. Sometimes we never figure out the cause because the bite/sting is covered up by diffuse swelling.

Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.

Is her breathing rate and activity level normal?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any difficulty breathing because of the swelling?

You can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur. I know that you have given Benadryl, but I want to make sure that you gave enough.

Dogs take a really high dose of antihistamines compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make her a little sleepy.

You can also apply a cool compress to the worst areas. The cool water will close skin capillaries and reduce inflammation.

Finally you can apply cortisone ointment (Cortaid or any generic hydrocortisone cream for example) to the affected areas twice daily.

And then you'll need to watch her closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes so much swelling she has difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.

The swelling/redness should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.

In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Those types of severe reactions are very rare.

Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.

Because you know now that she has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.

If you notice progression of her symptoms don't wait, have her checked on an emergency basis.

If you 'd like you can have a veterinarian check her now. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster. But if she seems to be doing well then I would just call her usual veterinarian Monday and let them know so it is on her record for future reference.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian