Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is walking into walls, pooping in the house & falling

Customer Question
down when doing this and...
My dog is walking into walls, pooping in the house & falling down when doing this and does not finish all his food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 16 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bert?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It sounds like Bert is definitely having a rough go of this. The question, though, is if this is all from blindness, a neurologic problem or a combination of the two. If just blind, I would not expect him to fall down when he tries to defecate. If it is just blindness, then there is most likely some severe arthritis involved as well. My main concern is that he has a metabolic problem that is causing neurologic complications. That can be liver problems (hepatic encephalopathy), kidney problems, cancer, infectious or inflammatory encephalitis (inflammation around the brain) or even cognitive dysfunction (dementia - would most likely be a secondary problem). It would be a very good idea to have your vet do a full exam and run some blood work on him. There is a good chance, though, that whatever they find cannot be cured. They may be able to give him medication to alleviate the symptoms and make him more comfortable, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Bert is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian