Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was diagnosed with cancer of the muscle 5days ago.

Customer Question
I'm totally blown away ,distraught,panicked...
My dog was diagnosed with cancer of the muscle 5days ago. I'm totally blown away ,distraught,panicked looking for a way to start fighting the best I could. I hear fish oil interfere with the production of cancer cells so I go out and buy some and give it to her. That was yesterday, today she would not eat dinner and when she went potty it was diarrhea and blood at the end. She's acting fine but I don't know what to do I have no money and I really need a break. Please help us, she ate 3000 iu of d3 and she weighs 77 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: She has had bladder stones and she now has this new diagnosis
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Where is this muscle cancer, please?

Fish oil won't be harmful at a dose of 20 mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil but isn't expected to be noticeably helpful when fighting muscle cancer. It might be palliative by reducing inflammation in the muscle.

Diarrhea with blood at the end (hematochezia) usually indicates an ulcerative colitis but isn't a symptom of any one particular disorder. Does the muscle cancer involve smooth muscle of the gastrointestinal tract?

3000IU of vitamin D3 is an insignificant amount in a 77lb dog. It would take ~140,000IU to intoxicate Lucky with vitamin D3.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian