Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Bella is a 8yr. old toy poodle 10.5lbs. She takes Prednisone

Customer Question

Bella is a 8yr. old toy poodle 10.5lbs. She takes Prednisone 2.5mg for allergies and itchy feet. She has a lot of back pain (arthritic) today. She is not jumping and is very uncomfortable. She yelps when I press lightly on her spine around the middle of her back towards her back legs. This is not a new problem. Saw the vet in the past and vet had given an injection of Buprenorphine 0.30 and prescribed Prednisone. What can I give her for pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with Miss Bella...give me a few minutes to compose your answer....

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

First you can use the Prednisone to help with this back issue...give her 5 mg of the Prednisone twice daily for 3 days, then 5 mg once daily for 3 days and then back to 2.5 mg daily. This should also help the pain she is having.

Second, why is your dog taking Prednisone for allergies when we have a much superior drug with less side effects called Apoquel? Talk to your vet about that.....

Do you have any Tramadol in your home?

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

Are you there?

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

I am standing by for questions.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

Can I assist you further?

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

Ok, I have to retire for the night as I have suergery early tomorrow.....if you need additional help please let me know....I check my computer every night....Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B