Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I fixed some hamburger meat last night that had been in the

Customer Question
refrigerator for 2 weeks. It...
I fixed some hamburger meat last night that had been in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. It was brown on top but red in the center. I smelt it to make sure it didn't smell bad. I have 3 small dogs that can not (2) eat dried food and only eat certain types of wet dog food. One dog has been raised by my parents who fead her from the table so she will only eat human food,(age 17 1/2 yrs. of age. So my two dogs think they are suppose to eat what she does. I've had her for 3 yrs now. The two older dog are not sick. It my baby, Toby a Yorkshire Terrior. He not the tiny kind either. He will be 4 on the 27th of Oct. He has been sickly shortly after he had eaten the meat. The other two haven't. He finally threw up early this am, what he ate last evening. I took him outside this am around 4 to eat some grass. Which was also in the throw up. What should I do for him. It's apparent that he got some meat that wasn't good. I threw out all the other. He has drunk some water before throwing up. That's all. Took up their bowl and he has not eaten any thing else.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: He's just laying around he doesn't even chase people walking by the fence as he usually does. That a great pass time of his. He loves it and it's great exercise for him.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned that your fellow may have ingested spoiled meat.

The concerns here would be:

1) eating spoiled meat which can have high bacterial counts, like salmonella.

2) the other concern is that some hamburger is very high in fat and rich, and if he weren't used to eating meats with high fat content that could trigger a bout of pancreatitis and stomach upset.

Because the other two dogs are fine he was either unlucky and ate a pocket of meat that was spoiled or he is more sensitive to high fat foods. The other possibility is that the meat has nothing to do with his lack of appetite and stomach upset/vomiting.

Vomiting can be triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

To try and settle his stomach now you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and could help settle his stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe.

I would with-hold food for 12 hours to let his gastrointestinal system rest.

Small amounts of water, pedialyte or ice cubes to lick are fine to keep him hydrated.

Then if his nausea improves and he stops vomiting feed a homemade bland diet of 1/3 boiled, very lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat after cooking, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed small meals several times a day.

Once he's feeling better then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to his regular diet.

If he continues vomiting, even after the acid reducing medication is given, refuses to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best he see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat his gastrointestinal system.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already knew those answers. My dog got some bad news I need to know what to do. He didn't have indigestion problems. He can eat anything and he only eats things that are good he won't eat things that are bad for him. He's very good about that not satisfied with these answers. The same answers have been given for other questions that I read previous and now I'm out a bunch of money for something I already read. I would not advise this site because it's a scam in order to get your question answered you have to pay more money and I don't think it's a good site
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do yourself a favor and just call a veterinarian in your phone book. It cost me $34 to get this answer. And I could have got a big gun antibiotic shot for that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For my dog and I wouldn't been out the money on a stupid damn lawyer

I cannot know what you are aware of and what you aren't.

No attempted treatments were listed, thus I gave you recommendations that I commonly do for dogs with stomach upset. Yes, that may be similar to other answers because no matter the cause we treat stomach upset in a similar fashion.

If he vomited food that he ingested more than 2-3 hours ago and was eating grass he definitely is having indigestion problems.

I am also mystified why a "big gun antibiotic shot" would be appropriate for him. Using antibiotics indiscriminately is a poor choice, antibiotics should be used in a directed manner targeting a particular identified pathogen.

Finally I am a veterinarian not a lawyer, so your last comment is very puzzling.

I will forward this to customer service and they can process a refund since you are obviously very unhappy.

Best of luck to your poor fellow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The side you are on has a proxy where you can't go on unless you sign up for particular plan involving asking a lawyer questions for $19 $29 and $49. In order to proceed you have to choose one of these plans to get your answer from the veterinarian. That's why I said this site a scam you needed it take this off and proceed with your answer for $14
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's why I said what I said
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian