How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 21242
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 14 year old non-spaid pomeranian who recently saw a

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old non-spaid pomeranian who recently saw a vet to have anal glans expressed. He found pus in the glands so started her on antibiotics. The next few days she began having large amounts of claer mucous discharge from her vagina. Her last mense was 5 months ago. I was told it was coincidense. Her discharge has decreased today to minimal. Her CBc was unremarkable with a WBC of 19.9. Her x-ray showed a slightly enlarged uterus and I am having an expert Tadiology read and should have results back by Wednesday. X-ray was also significant for some possible kidney stones. She has a good appetite and except for occasional panting and a temp on sunday of 103 she seems to have normal activity level. I had been prepared by one vet that she may need to be spayed but the second vet said that to spay her was high risk. I understand the risk of her servix closing and her uterus rupturing but the second vet felt that this was not iminent and we could wait for the reading on Wednesday. Her antibiotic was changed today to Clavomox 62.5 mg/ml. I am concerned that we may be wiating too long and she mey ruture her uterus.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now this is a difficult situation.

Closed uterine infections can be risky. They can fill quickly in some dogs leading to bacterial spread into the blood stream or rupture of the uterus causing bacterial contamination of the sterile abdominal cavity. And while it would be nice if we could do so, no one can predict how fast a uterus will fill with infection nor predict when a uterus may rupture. Therefore, as long as her bloods were good at her age (since her organ function is more important than an age and a better indicator of whether there is risk for her), you could consider having her spayed at this stage. And that would be safest as a means of preventing adverse risks (not to mention spaying her now will just remove that uterus and prevent future issues with it). Though you can choose to wait until Wednesday as we would hope the antibiotics will slow any progression and risk of those more serious issues. Though if you do, this means that you need to keep an eagle eye on her. If she has any elevation in temperature, reduction in activity, feels poorly, or appears to have belly distension at all; then she would need to be seen urgently for that spay. And there is a risk that if she reaches that point out of hours, that you may need an emergency spay.

Overall, it is a difficult situation and one that we cannot truly predict. Since uterine infection is suspect, her bloods tell us that she is a good anesthesia candidate, and it is best the uterus is out for her anyway, I would be tempted to spay now if she were my patient. That way we'd get around any of these risks, avoid an emergency spay, and just remove this as a concern. Though again if it was only slightly enlarged and since she is on antibiotics that would hopefully slow infection if not clear it; there is scope to wait if you prefer as long as you can keep a close eye on her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.


If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.