Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What is the best treatment for a slipped disc in a dog?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I can help you today. I am sorry to hear that Charlize has the working diagnosis of a slipped disc.

First, here is a link with a comprehensive description of disc disease in dogs-

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3215

Does Charlize have back pain? Is she having trouble walking?

MRI is by far the best way to diagnose neck and back pain in dogs.

Once the diagnosis is made, based on the MRI, the neurologist will be able to give you treatment options.

If the dog is having trouble walking or is paralyzed, the best treatment is surgery to remove the disc. If the dog can still walk (even if they are weak) some can be managed medically with pain medication, cage rest (like bed rest) and physical therapy. Some dogs respond well to acupuncture as well if they are still able to walk.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is your dog doing now? Are you still at the ER? Do you have any questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian