PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Female lab 3 years old, 11th day of heat cycle will not

Customer Question

Female lab 3 years old, 11th day of heat cycle will not accept my male lab
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She keeps snapping at him when he mounts her
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Faith
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Faith?
Customer: No, healthy happy lab
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay

Typically female dogs are receptive to male dogs starting around the 7th day of the heat cycle. However, some bitches will absolutely refuse to mate with the male we have selected for them. In cases like this, artificial insemination is usually the wisest move. For this, you would take the male and female to the vet, have the male collected through manual stimulation and then the female would be inseminated with the fluid collected. Similar procedures exist for dogs that live in different areas or for whom the option of in-person breeding does not exist. You're at the perfect time to opt for this to be done if you're certain you're wanting puppies from these two dogs. Otherwise, it may be worth waiting until her next heat cycle and trying a different male next time.

More info on AI procedures here: http://www.revivalanimal.com/articles/artificial-insemination.html

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How much does it usually cost

It depends on where you live, the time involved, etc. I've seen the cost as cheap as $150 and I know of breeders who have invested well over $750 each time the dog was to be AI'd. Not all clinics offer this option, either, so calling around tomorrow may help. Someone skilled in this area of vet med can be invaluable for someone in your situations as they can guide you through any concerns that might arise over the coming months, if the pregnancy takes.

Checking in. How is Faith doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy