Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Second opinion] - he ate soap 3 days ago and has had

Customer Question

Second opinion] - he ate soap 3 days ago and has had diarrhea for about 24 hours. 4 occassions
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cooper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?
Customer: he has Epilepsy and take phenobarbital and Potassium Bromite
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Dr. Altman gave you good advice concerning symptomatic and supportive treatment for simple diarrhea. My concern is that diarrhea has arisen 48 hours after soap ingestion. I would have expected Cooper to become diarrheic soon after (within 8 hours) ingesting soap if the soap were responsible for his diarrhea. How much soap and in what form was the soap did he ingest, please? There's no specific antidote to soaps but there's no need for one either. The irritation caused by surfactants and detergents in soaps should be transient and self-limiting.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?