Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just had a cataract removed from my eye. On top of that My

Customer Question
I just had a cataract...
I just had a cataract removed from my eye. On top of that My Dog has developed Cataracts. In doing some research for dog I saw an ad for I Can C eye drops. Is this a viable option for helping with that condition
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to assist you today. The short answer is this: the Can C drops contain N-acetyl carnosine. There was a study done in dogs using drops containing this compound. The results showed fairly minimal improvement in the cataracts in these dogs, and the study was criticized for being a poor study.

So I think there is not enough evidence to say whether these drops really have any effect or not. In clinical practice we do not use them so I think if there was potential benefit there would be more studies.

Has a veterinarian diagnosed your dog with cataracts? Sometimes there can be aging changes to the lenses that can cause some cloudiness but theyre not actually cataracts.

There is cataract surgery that can be done in dogs as well. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions!

Dr. Snow

Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago

Do you have further questions? If not, please kindly rate me :)

Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago
Hi Jim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about James Mott. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow