Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Just got in and my 12 week old boxer puppy is walking very

Customer Question
strange after being left alone...
Just got in and my 12 week old boxer puppy is walking very strange after being left alone for 2 hrs. She is bending to her rear side to side and walking funny like her tail or anus are bothering her. She is otherwise energetic but biting as if she's stressed or in some sort of pain. I've thoroughly checked her legs hips tail and none seem to be the problem
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian

With your description, I would be concerned about an anal gland issue. The anal sacs can become full of fluid and can be irritating causing dogs to bite, lick and scoot their rear ends on the carpet. These can easily be expressed by a veterinarian or groomer. Other causes of biting at the rear end would include fleas or possibly an insect bite (you should be using monthly flea prevention, even if you do not see them). There are other reasons that she may be uncomfortable but this would require a veterinary exam to determine if any of these are going on as they are less common.

If she is still doing this in the morning, you can take her to a groomer or your vet and have her anal sacs expressed (most places will do this as a technician exam). If this does not help then I recommend a vet exam to determine if she needs something more to address the discomfort.

Does this address your concern today? Please let me know if you have any further questions, I am happy to help you if you need further assistance.

Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian