Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is 10 days post c-section. She still has a black,

Customer Question
tarry discharge. No odour...
My dog is 10 days post c-section. She still has a black, tarry discharge. No odour, no fresh blood, no increase in amount. Dog is eating and drinking normally. No fever. Just finished 7 days of antibiotics.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Caera
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Caera?
Customer: Dog is otherwise healthy. She had a difficulty pregnancy. One puppy died interuterine on August 13 and she had a threatened abortion. I maintained the pregnancy with Progesterone supplement. She had an emergency C-section on Sept. 1 due to dystocia. Has been on antibiotics since August 13, just finished them on Friday. Concerned because the black vaginal discharge has lasted more than a week.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Caera's placental sites haven't involuted completely. This can take up to 6-8 weeks even after a normal birth; I suspect it will be delayed by her c-section. Because this is considered within normal, no treatment is necessary unless discharge persisted past 6-8 weeks post-parturition. There's no reason to believe that infection remains after a month's worth of antibiotics. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian