Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Basset Hound has both of the inner eye lids so red and…

Customer Question
My Basset Hound has...

My Basset Hound has both of the inner eye lids so red and swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the basset hound's name and age?

Tulip and 10 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tulip?

We took her to the local vet and he gave us Benedrill and some ointmebt

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

For the purpose of our conversation I'm going to assume that response to medication has been poor. In that case, the cause of Tulip's third eyelid inflammation needs to be clarified to better understand how to specifically treat it. Third eyelid inflammatory disorders include plasma cell infiltration in the form of a plasmoma/pannus/chronic superfical keratitis; nodular granulomatous episclerokeratitis/nodular episcleritis/nodular faciitis; and a follicular conjunctivitis/lymphofollicular conjunctivitis. The eyelids can also protrude due to alteration of orbital contents by dehydration, loss of orbital fat, temporal muscle atrophy, orbital neoplasia, cystic disease in the orbit, and orbital cellulitis, abscess, or hemorrhage. A change in orbital muscle tone as seen with Horner's syndrome should also be considered.

I don't mean to present you with a primer of all the possible causes of Tulip's condition but, instead, prompt your having her local vet perform basic testing to clarify one disorder from the other. If her vet isn't comfortable doing so, please consider having Tulip attended to by a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist as can be found here: www.acvo.org

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.