Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My sons dog, chewed a battery in half last night. She seems

Customer Question
fine. No vomiting, no red...
My sons dog, chewed a battery in half last night. She seems fine. No vomiting, no red or raw spots on tongue, and no gray looking tongue. She is eating and drinking fine. Will she be ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No not they we are aware of.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luna and she is 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?
Customer: No she is very healthy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr . Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

thank you. The contents of the battery are an alkaline corrosive and cause ulceration. Ulceration may not show up for up to 12 hours. The quicker the ulcers show up the more severe they are. If there are no ulcers in the mouth at this point, that is good news. There is still a small possibility that some went into her esophagus. Ideally, you want to have her on famotidine to decrease acid secretion and a carafate slurry to coat any injured areas in the esophagus or stomach. Famotidine is over the counter (Pepcid AC) and can be given at a dose of 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight once daily. Finally, you need to be certain that she did not ingest any portion of the casing. If the battery pieces are all there, then this is unlikely. You should talk to your local veterinarian about getting her checked out and starting her on a carafate slurry. Please ask any additional questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you very much. I eill have my son call his vet.

You are very welcome. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. You are still able to post on this thread for a few days, even after rating. Take care

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian