Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 15 year old male dog that is a mix of Welsh

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...
Hello. I have a 15 year old male dog that is a mix of Welsh Pembroke Corgi and miniature daschund. I have recently been finding blood clots all over our home that, I THINK, are from his urine. These are clots the size of dimes. Not always in a urine puddle. I've watched him pee and it is usually clear. But I find these clots often now. He is an intact male and seems in no distress. He eats and drinks well, seems happy, as usual. I know bladder stones and prostate cancer are in the differential (Im a nurse) His abdomen had been distended for several years, but he is overweight, as many Corgis are. Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Dr. Gary. Your response to my question?

I would also suspect blood clots from the urine.

In an intact male, BPH (benign prastatic hypertrophy) and prostatitis are actually more common than prostate cancer. Cancers are more common in neutered males.

The best thing to do is to get an exam with a good rectal to palpate the prostate. I would also recommend ultrasounding the bladder and prostate. A urinalysis would also help to determine if there is blood in the urine.

Sorry, I was working on the response.

The treatment depends on what is found. Often times the first step is neutering to see if that shrinks down the prostate. If it does, that may be all that is needed. If it's still enlarged, then we consider a biopsy to look for prostatic tumors and culture the tissue to rule out prostatitis.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would blood clots be this large or prominent in a case of prostatitis? The frequency and size concerns me, although I agree with ultrasound to rule out bladder stones. I know they are common with Corgis. But since he is in no distress would you recommend a course of antibiotics? He is approximately 25#.

Oh yeah, blood clots can easily be this large. It could occur with stones, urinary tract infections, bladder tumors, prostatitis or prostate tumors. These can all cause bleeding into the lumen of the urinary tract and lead to blood clots.

I don't know if I would just jump to antibiotics. I would probably try to rule out some other things first. Especially in a dog this old. I think it's more likely one of the other things as opposed to just a run of the mill UTI.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would neutering still be a good treatment option? He is 15 years old and our very had expressed concern for even this simple surgery, given his age. I can obtain antibiotics for him. I'm surprised that prostate cancer would be more common in neutered males. I hadn't heard this before. It was always me of a cinder that he was intact.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Vet, not very.

If the prostate is enlarged and part of the problem, then yes I would neuter him. Even at 15, I would neuter him. This is such a short and routine procedure, I would have no worries about the anesthesia. I would of course check pre-anesthetic bloodwork to be sure the kidneys and liver are functioning properly.

When it comes to antibiotics, I want to know if it's urinary tract or prostate. If bladder, I go with Clavamox (Augmentin). When I'm trying to get to the prostate, I need something that crosses the blood-prostate barrier. That's usually a Fluoroquinolone or Clindamycin or in rare cases Sulfa/ Trim.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also agree this is not a UTI. He is not leaking urine, feverish or painful. His abdomen is tender, but that's been the case most of his life. He doesn't like being palpated.

That's the corgi, they have short fuses.

I think it's probably the prostate, but stones and bladder tumors would be on my differential list as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What clindamycin dose would you recommend for a 25# *****? I will have him evaluated, but want to justify With our local vet. They are just very calcitrant, given his age. They've suggested he be put down, but since he is NOT in distress I won't have that option unless he is guttering or CTD. Thank you for understanding.

I usually go 11 mg/kg BID. In a 25 lb dog, I would give 125 mg twice daily.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
125mg bid for 5 or 7 days?

For a prostate, I usually go 10-14. 7 minimum.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Dr. Gary. You've been extremely helpful.

No problem. Happy to help.

Hi Pam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Xander. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian