Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Well my dog stole a taco off the table. There was a tooth

Customer Question

Well my dog stole a taco off the table. There was a tooth pick in it to hold it closed. He seems ok but I don't want any problems with it trying to make its way out the other end. Or do you think it will dissinagrate?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: He's not showing any signs of distress
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't. I was just worried
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your dog eating normally?
Customer: Well he swollowed the taco ok and he's just acting normal
JA: Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: This just happened so he hasn't had to do any of that
JA: How is your dog behaving differently?
Customer: No
JA: OK. No obvious behavior changes. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Just wanted to know if he isn't showing signs of distress if he should be ok and the toothpick would pass through his system alright or break down
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out a reply for you below.

Dogs are actually very prone to swallowing objects of various sorts, but I can tell you that I have known sharp objects like glass fragments and needles pass straight through a dog's intestinal tract without problem before this, however as you are aware there is an obvious danger though. Here is some advice based on my previous experience :

1. Do not try to induce vomiting to recover the tooth pick as sharp objects like this can cause problems in the throat tissue on the way back up.

2. Feed your dog quite a few slices of bread or some mashed potato ASAP in the hope that this will form round the toothpick and cushion your dog's intestinal tract as the tooth pick passes along, this can be very effective.

3. I know this is a horrid task but you should examine your dog's faeces over the next few days to make sure the tooth pick has passed.

4. Be aware that there is a potential for a problem to occur here. So monitor your dog for signs such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course is that this object could penetrate the intestinal tract which would be a very serious situation. However as I said at the start my experience is that many dogs will somehow get away with incidents like this.

5. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the tooth pick incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?