Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have a 10 pound yorkie with a bloating issue he has been

Customer Question

I have a 10 pound yorkie with a bloating issue he has been to the vet does not have pancreatitis has been treated but he is not improving he is in alot of pain very scared don't th vet is doing enough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he eat a few small pieces of rawhide thinking it is blocking his bowels
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 10 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hil. What is your Yorkie's name. Has he had any vomiting or diarrhea? what is his normal diet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Name is ***** ***** vomiting or Diarrhea

How old is he and what is his normal diet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he is 12 and he eats once a day

what is the name of the food he is eat\ing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
4health

Great. Thank you. So, rawhide does not typically cause a blockage, because it softens and breaks down in the stomach. That leaves a couple of possible causes. If the dissension is from the stomach becoming dilated, then either his stomach is not contracting normally or he may have a partial obstruction of the pylorus.

Have any X-rays been taken to determine if the stomach is bloated or possibly one of the other organs is enlarged?

What treatments has he received?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he has had xrays his stomach is twice the size it should all his blood work was normal except he had high white cell blood count

thank you. Is he currently on antibiotics? any other treatments?

How long has his stomach been bloated? Is he passing stool? There is a possibility that the pylorus (narrowed part of the stomach that leads into the intestines) is thickened and to allowing good outflow. Food sitting in the stomach usually causes nausea, but not always.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he is being treat for anaplasmosis ear eye & skin infection he is on doxacyline and another for the stomach famotidine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he had a bowel movement this morning he has been bloated since yesterday evening after supper is when i noticed it first

Doxycycline can cause stomach upset, but famotidine may help a little. There are promotility drugs (metoclopramide) that can help the stomach contract and empty. I would also consider probiotics to repopulate his intestinal tract with healthy bacteria. Have you considered and abdominal ultrasound? This would help determine if there is an issue with the pylorus and rule out a foreign body.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see anything else i can do besides an ultra sound someone suggested induce vomiting

Inducing vomitng is not a great choice. Has he been eating?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not tonight he would only eat a very little bit of egg

It is important to keep him on a bland food right now. We don't want him to develop pancreatitis on top of this. I would not give him anything else, except water tonight. It is good that he had a bowel movement. If an ultrasound if off limits, then I would talk to your vet tomorrow about getting him on Cerenia (anti nausea med) and a promotiity drug.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thank you

Your welcome. Please feel free to ask additional questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. You can continue to post on this thread for several days, even after rating. Take care.