Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My maltipoo is 10 months and I've noticed little drops of

Customer Question
blood around her sleep area...
My maltipoo is 10 months and I've noticed little drops of blood around her sleep area and potty area? She's acting normal too. I have been changing her food lately and feeding her table food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Layla
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Layla?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Has she had any diarrhea or difficulty urinating?

Is she spayed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No diarrhea and she is not sprayed

No difficulty urinating either? Has she had her heat cycle yet? If not, that is probably what is going on. Check her vulva to see if it is enlarged, or if there is any blood tinged drops around it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No she hasn't. Her vulva is swollen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What should we do

Thanks for the information. She is most likely having her heat cycle now. You may need to get a sanitary diaper set up for her at your nearest pet store to keep her from being too messy. It will usually pass in 1-2 weeks. The color will probably change from red to a brownish color. Other than that, just ride it out. If she starts to act different in any way, have your vet check her out, especially if it is anywhere up to 2 months past her heat cycle finishing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was following up to see how Layla was doing and if you had any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian