Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog has.something similar and I'm pretty concerned.

Customer Question

my dog has.something similar and I'm pretty concerned. Hopefully you can help me out. I take very good care of her and she does have a regular vet at South Hampton Veterinary in Houston,Tx. If you could give me a little advise would greatly be appreciated until I see her vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

What exactly is the problem with the dog?

How long has the problem been going on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello yes my dog has had this problem for about 2 weeks the nipple is pink and swollen and from her scratching it it has a couple of cuts it has grown double in size in about 2 weeks

Thank you for that information. If it is swollen then there is likely an infection.

Is the dog spayed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I'm trying to load pictures but it won't let me

What we worry about with females is that bacteria gets into the teat and causes an infection, Mastitis. This is more common in females that are not spayed.

I am going to direct you to a link on this for further reading. http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/mastitis-in-dogs

Mammary gland swelling can be from a variety of reasons . You can read causes here, http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/mammary-gland-swelling-in-dogs

Continue to clean the area and you can use a warm compress to try to draw the infection out until you can see your vet.