Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 2 year old Yorkie, and she is not able to move her

Customer Question
back legs all of a...
We have a 2 year old Yorkie, and she is not able to move her back legs all of a sudden. No fall or injury, just paralyzed back legs all of a sudden.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is not a wound
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zoey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?
Customer: We had a xray done, and they gave her pain med and said to monitor her
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. If Zoey is not able to move her back legs then she either has a ruptured intervertebral disk in her mid back or she has a blood clot to her spinal cord (fibrocartilagenous emboli). A ruptured disk is surgically treated to decompress the spinal cord and allow it to swell and then hopefully return to normal and regain use of the limbs. If it is the emboli, then it is time and supportive care. These are not surgical, but many improve with time. You need to make sure that you ask your veterinarian for a referral to a veterinary neurologist in order to find out which it is. You also need to make sure that you are able to express her bladder. If she cannot use her back legs, then it is very likely that she cannot urinate. She will need to have her bladder expressed at least three times each day. Your local veterinarian should be able to show you how if they have not already. Please ask any additional questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any chance it is a tick bite that can lead to paralysis?

there is tick paralysis, but usually a tick is found and the paralysis starts to resolve over several days once the tick is removed. Did your vet say if Zoey still has "deep pain"? this means sensation when the bone is pinched.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian