Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

My 24 lb mixed breed dog just ate a 60 mg Cymbalta!!! What

Customer Question

My 24 lb mixed breed dog just ate a 60 mg Cymbalta!!! What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question. Give your dog 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. If you do not have hydrogen peroxide, then take your dog to the vet now so they can induce vomiting ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

If vomit is induced within 2 hours, then there are unlikely to be any serious adverse effects from the Cymbalta.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get her to take HP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then please don't charge me 28 dollars
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

I would either pour it in her mouth using the cap or if you have an eye dropper you can give it that way. You should try to give the entire dose in a couple of minutes. Vomiting usually occurs within 15 minutes

Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

I am not set-up for phone calls but can still talk you through this process.

Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

If you can get her to vomit using the hydrogen peroxide, then you should take her to the vet. They can induce vomiting with other drugs that are more effective. They may also give one dose of activated charcoal in case she did absorb any of the drug. Side effects from the drug that may occur include excitation that can be treated by your vet with acepromazine if needed. More serious side effects, unlikely at this dose, include muscle tremors and seizure like activity (i.e. serotonin syndrome. Again this is unlikely and treatable by your vet.

Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

You are not being charged for a live phone call unless someone that takes phone calls accepts your offer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should we let her drink water?
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

Yes, she can drink water. Did you get her to take the peroxide?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think she got most of it. Should I try a little more?
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

If you don't think she got all of it, then you can give her a little more to make up for the amount she spit out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is happening
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

It can take up to 15 minutes. It hasn't been that long yet. While we are waiting for her to vomit, tell me does your dog have any history of health problems or take any other medications?

Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

Now it has been 15 minutes. If Pearl hasn't vomited yet, then I would take her to your vet so they can induce vomiting with something that is more effective. As I said, they may also decide to give her 1 dose of activate charcoal a little later in the afternoon in case the entire pill can't be identified in her vomit. They will likely monitor her for up to 6 hours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know how things go at the vet.

Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I wondered how Pearl was doing today. Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pearl. How is everything going?

Dr. Karing