Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has allergies and i noticed he has what looks like

Customer Question
little blisters on his nose...
my dog has allergies and i noticed he has what looks like little blisters on his nose, what could that be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is he pawing at his nose?

Any discharge from his nose? If so, what does it look like?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of his nose and post it or attach it to your next message?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am at work right now but he is pawing at his nose and his eyes are red and have yellowish gunk in them

Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. It is possible that it could be all part of an infection, but my concern is if he may have an immune mediated problem called pemphigus or even discoid lupus. The lesions that develop usually aren't itchy, but if there is a secondary infection, they can be. You will normally see lesions around the eyes and nose. A picture may be very helpful to determine if that is possible. At the very least, your vet probably needs to start him on antibiotics and check the tear production in his eyes and check him for any corneal ulcers in the eyes. A topical eye medication will most likely be necessary. An antibacterial eye medication with a steroid would probably help if there are no corneal ulcers. I would try putting a triple antibiotic ointment on the worse on the nose until you can get him in. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he has been on antibiotics for a week for allergies, just finished up the script.

Okay, I am sorry. You just mentioned steroids and antihistamines in your post. A lot depends on the antibiotic as well. If there is an issue with discoid lupus, tetracycline may be needed. It may help to put a topical antibacterial/steroid ointment on the lesions as well. If not healing up with the oral antibiotics or topical medications, then a biopsy may be necessary. Like I said, it may help better to see the actual wounds. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

Hi Pam,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was following up to see how Max is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian