Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My little old poodle mix has had all the symptoms pointing

Customer Question
towards "bloat" however after 4...
My little old poodle mix has had all the symptoms pointing towards "bloat" however after 4 days she's still alive. Obviously we were incorrect with our him diagnoses. This is what I have to go by & work with now: For the past few weeks my husband and I have been fighting horribly. When we fight she trembles and she hides & the past 2 weeks of our fights being the worst of the worst ever the fights were horrific. She's a small poodle Maltese a Hinze 57 mix. About 2 weeks ago I started noticing she was extremely constipated, well 4 days ago she over ate. Since she overate her stomach swelled up and she can't get her poop out for the past 4 days. She's not interested in eating and very lethargic. The last weird thing , every few hours she's leaks out a watery clear fluid which as a slight pink tint now the color is slightly brown and slightly pinkish which we thought at 1st it was from her period since she licks and cleans herself and her blankets. We thought she was licking her vagina which is swollen like when on a period but the brownish tint might be from her butt, we don't know. She did manage to get a little poop out yesterday but it was stuck half in her half out of her. Today she struggled and got a golf ball size poop about 2 inches long this time it fell off last time we had to break it off for her. PLEASE HELP ME HELP HER!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your pup is so sick!

First, how old is she and is she spayed? What kind of food does she usually eat?

Just to confirm, she is straining to defecate but there is only a little liquid coming out? Also, her vulva is swollen?

There are no safe over-the-counter enemas for dogs. The human products are poisonous to dogs. Miralax is a safe stools softener, but the dog needs to be eating and not be blocked up to begin with.

Please let me know the answers to these questions and we can figure out how to care for your pup.

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is around 7 yrs old but that's give or take 1 or more years. I don't believe she was ever spayed nor did she litter any puppies. Until a year ago I think she are whatever they had along with that gross cheap discount dog food also her main foods were off my boyfriend's plate, so whatever my husband would eat is what shes had always eaten. I put a stop to that and introduced her to quality dog food. She is still fed a small amount from the plates but greatly reduced amounts for this last year. Thank you!

Okay, thanks for the update. Sorry I was slow to respond, I was working my day job today.

How is your pup this evening? Is she eating okay? Did she pass any stool today?

Also, is she having a heat cycle right now?

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian