Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 year golden doodle had a splenectomy ( 10 by 10 benign

Customer Question
mass ) about seven months...
My 9 year golden doodle had a splenectomy ( 10 by 10 benign mass ) about seven months ago. They also biopsied some liver nodules that came back benign.I took him to the vet because of a mass on his cheek which came back abnormal but not cancerous yet. Before surgery they took blood and found out that he is extremely anemic and has a very enlarged liver. Further blood work showed that the liver enzymes are high and platelet and RBC blood count low etc. My vet believes he is bleeding internally and suggested this is also a result from the spleen tumor. Maybe misdiagnosed? He said he was very sick. We have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow. He is eating, wagging his tail, but very tired. His eyes look sad if that makes sense. The vet also suggested we put him down which we are considering. Any suggestions?.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: golden doodle more poodle than golden
JA: OK. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the poodle?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. That is a very difficult decision. I did exclusively emergency medicine for over 15 years and have seen a large number of splenic and hepatic tumors. It is extremely unusual to have a mass in both areas and for it to be benign. There is a high probability that removing the primary tumor in the spleen has given you quality time with him over the last 7 months and that now the metastatic nodule in the liver have grown to the point where they are rupturing and bleeding. It sounds like he was misdiagnosed. I am very sorry. Feel fee to ask follow up questions.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian