Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He seems to be in pain when I touch his back. He was walking

Customer Question
He seems to be in...
He seems to be in pain when I touch his back. He was walking backwards and seems confused.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Toby, Shih tzu, 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?
Customer: Had pancreatitus 1 1/2 yrs ago so eats special food - no treats
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I'm sorry to hear that Toby seems to have a sore back today. What part of his back seems painful? Is he eating and drinking okay? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Will he jump on or off furniture? Will he stand on his hind legs?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you tonight.

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has eaten and drank some today - no vomiting. I don't think he has had diarrhea - was out of town most of the day and nothing in the house. I did not go outside with him when I returned. He is trembling and moving very cautiously. He will not jump and yelps when I touch his back. He is walking around - sometimes forward and sometimes backward.

Okay. That is great information, thanks so much!

It does sound exactly he has back pain. (Sorry I asked questions about this, sometimes abdominal pain can look like back pain, that is what I was trying to determine).

The most common cause of sudden onset back pain in short-legged long back dogs is a blown disc.

Here is a link with pictures and descriptions-

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3215

He also is likely in severe pain. Do you have a local animal ER near you? Can you take him tonight or tomorrow morning?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will locate an emergency vet in the morning

That sounds great. I will be online most of tomorrow if you want to give me an update.

Dr. Amanda

How is Toby today? How is his back doing? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure it's a back issue. He is walking (forward) today but sits very carefully. Maybe constipated? He is still shaking and acting differently (not following me around and no energy.)

I am still wondering about his back. Sitting carefully is a sign of back pain but can also be a sign of anal gland issues. Can you examine his anal glands?

Is he jumping on and off the furniture or standing on his hind legs today? If not, these are classic symptoms of back pain.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He stands on all four but hasn't attempted jumping on furniture. He went to the groomer 3 weeks ago so I assume his glands were expressed then.
My vet (or other locals) are not open today. I was told the ER doesn't diagnose - offers pain meds and tells to take to regular vet-so I am calling my vet first thing tomorrow.
He slept most of the night and peed on a throw rug - not like him- but would not go outside. He is laying on his blanket in a straight line and shaking. Through the night he did his normal curl. Wish he could talk! ��

I know how you feel! Trying to guess what is going on based on behavior and history can be so tricky.

That is weird that your local ER doesn't help or make diagnoses. Is there only one ER near you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The other one is 30 miles away.

Hmmm....that one isn't too far, but still a bit of a drive. It may be worth it to consider the drive if you think that Toby is really suffering.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will watch him through the day and reconsider if things change.

Okay. That sounds like a good plan. I will be online for most of today if you have any more questions about him.

How is Toby today? Did you take him to your vet today? How is his back? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

How is Toby today? Is his pain better?

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian