Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 45 lb pit mix ate pistachios and shells last night while

Customer Question
we weren't home... We came...
My 45 lb pit mix ate pistachios and shells last night while we weren't home... We came home, fed her, and then we realized. It was a 1.5 ounce 100 calorie pack. She was fine the rest of the night but this am she vomited just a few half/chewed shells. She did have 2 bowl movements with mostly the nuts but very few chewed shell remnants. She did want to eat breakfast but i waited a few hours. She did eat fine and doesn't yet continue to show signs of nausea. Also took for a walk after and she drank water. - worried about her passing the shells with intestinal damage....
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
far she's kept the food and water down. It's been about an hour... Gums look colored .. Not pale or white..her lower abdomen seems normal to the touch and soft(she is solid muscle so it's hard to tell) and she didn't seem to feel discomfort.
I can't tell she's not really distressed and seems herself..for now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can tell*

Good!
Now I am glad to hear that she hasn’t had any worrying signs after eating those pistachios and shells despite that one vomit. In that case, we can start supportive care to help Alka pass these with minimal issue. Since these were eaten last night, we'd want to start with small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage these to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help the shells slip through.

While encouraging passage of the shells, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Still, her lack of signs is positive so far. Therefore, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that she has passed them without bother. Of course, any of those red flag signs and a blockage or damage to the gut would be a worry and we’d want her checked urgently by the local vet.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!!!! The only issue with the bland diet is she does have allergies to chicken beef and grain and used to vomit until I went thru a ton of trial and error with a ton of food. Now that I've mastered a grain free and chicken lamb and beef free diet I'm hesitant to introduce it because then I wouldn't know if the vomiting is due to that or not! ..... Is there anything else I can do instead? Maybe mixing pumpkin with her regular kibble? Or anything else soft I can add to coat the lining that she may have little reaction to?

You are very welcome,

Poor lass with the severe allergies. In that case, we'd want to stick to her usual diet but have her seen for anti-nausea treatment if there is any more vomiting. You can add the pumpkin to her kibble +/- just soak it with water to soften it for her without worry.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hi Kristina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Alka. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian