Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Really dry nose and red eyes, Ella 8 years old, She has

Customer Question
Really dry nose and red...
Really dry nose and red eyes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ella 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ella?
Customer: She has fleas at mo due to immense heat here recently
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Any sneezing or coughing?

Any discharge from the eyes or nose? If so, please describe it?

How is her appetite and activity level?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

What breed of dog is she?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
King Charles, discharge from eyes a little had a few sneezes a week ago. Everything else normal, appetite good

Thanks. What did that discharge look like?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Discharge better just a bit slimy once a day but a week ago it looked like conjunctivitis but it cleared. I just noticed her eyes are red
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Discharge is just transparent and not a lot of it. Nose really really dry

Thanks for the information. At this point, there isn't anything that would suggest anything more than an allergy. A dry nose doesn't really mean that anything serious is going on. If the nose is cracked or scabbed, there could just be a condition called hyperkeratosis, or there may be an immune system issue, but just a dry nose doesn't have to be anything bad. I would probably want to rule out onset of "dry eye" by testing tear production (usually there is a thick, greenish discharge but may not appear very early in the disease), get eye pressures check to rule out early glaucoma and stain the eyes to look for any corneal ulcers (less likely if both eyes affected), but she may just benefit from an anti-inflammatory eye medication or just put on anti-histamines. Benadryl is usually safe for dogs at 12.5mg per 10-15 lbs every 8-12 hours. The exception would be certain heart conditions, prostate problems (not in her case) and glaucoma. That is why it would be a good idea to just have your vet check before starting something like that. I would try something like an artificial tears ointment that you can get over the counter first. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm just worried about her nose as its scabby. Anything I can do?

Yes. Try a warm compress on the nose to help remove the scabs and apply some Neosporin on it for now. You can use petroleum jelly in the meantime if you do not have any Neosporin. It may just be dry due to allergies, but if not looking better after a couple days of doing that, then definitely have your vet check it out. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

Hello. I was following up to see how Ella is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian