Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog swallowed an elk antler, she did not bomit or show

Customer Question
any problems but im concern...
my dog swallowed an elk antler, she did not bomit or show any problems but im concern if she will have an obstruction. - grech
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she's. 60pound dog, it was already less than 2 inch when she swallowed it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Was it whole, sharp edged, or in pieces?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any diarrhea or straining?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she was chewing on it but it does not look sharp as i remember it. When i bought it, they said the antler was digestible but i think i bought one that's small for her mouth. She was able to eat dinner and drink water. She was able to pee after dinner as well. She does not show any sign of vommiting,drooling,lip licking , diarrhea nor any signs of choking/ gagging right after swallowing it. I checked her belly and she did not react as i was trying to touch it. I was surprise she chewed it hard the moment she got the antler. i was trying to grab it from her but she wont drop it. Then as it got shorter, i think she decided to swallow it. I forgot to mention that she's a 57 - 60lbs pocket bully. Half pitbull and hal american bully. A muscular girl.

Thank you,

First, I am very glad to see that she hasn't any of the signs I asked about. That is very positive here and means we can start supportive care as we monitor her.

To start, since we have a hard item in the gut, we can take a few steps to reduce any potential damage caused by this moving through the GI. To do so, I would suggest feeding her a "Vaseline sandwich." To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces. I know it will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any possible sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage.

Afterwards, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage this to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Usually they antlers cause us problems when they break teeth in our dogs. But when they eat them, there is risk of blockage and possible gut damage. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that she has passed the material without bother. Of course, any of those red flag signs and a blockage or damage to the gut would be a worry and we’d want her checked urgently by the local vet.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im not sure if i feel comfrotable about giving my dog vaseline. Is it really safe for dogs? Im sorry, i just have to double check.
Also, is there any specific way how i can give my dog the miralax???Thank you,
Grech

Hi again Grech,

We do use it in this manner quite often. If you aren't comfortable with it, then use cat hairball treatment for the same effect. We just want a poorly absorbable gut lubricant to help this pass. As for the Miralax, give it mixed in a bit of food.

Take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian