Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Skinny worms in dogs stool, Mari. 2 months, I just got her 4

Customer Question
Skinny worms in dogs stool JA...
Skinny worms in dogs stool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mari. 2 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mari?
Customer: I just got her 4 days ago from humane society
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She got a dewormer Thursday and this morning I found skinny whitish worms in her stool. They were thin. Do I need to be worried that I can contract them? She was sleeping in my bed. Also, how contagious is she to other dogs/humans. The worms aren't moving. They are dead.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also does the dewormer treat the tape worm?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do I need to do anything extra as far as cleaning up after her?/do I need to disinfect my apartment so more do not lay their eggs if I found one in her bed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am finding little dead worms in her bed. I am going on a trip today. Is it safe for her to be in my car?
9/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If you are seeing skinny worms, these are likely roundworms. Rescue pups often carry these and some can have severe burdens. Therefore, when they are wormed as Mari has been, we can see the dying worms pass in their stool. So, while this isn't nice to see it is actually a good sign. It tells us that the wormer has worked and she is now able to flush the worms from her gut as the drug paralyses and kills the worm. And just to note, this usually subsides in 24-48 hours.

As well, there is no risk from these to you but since she has had such a dramatic worm burden, it is worth worming her again in a month to make sure they are all gone. To prevent any egg shedding and spread to your other dogs, they all should be wormed as well. And it is fine for her to be in the car or in the apartment but consider restricting where she goes and perhaps put a towel down in the car for easy clean up for the next few days.

Finally, you would need to check the wormer that was used to determine if it covered for tapeworms too. Most do, but it is brand dependent. If you see rice like material in her stool, then that would tell you she also has tapeworms and that would need to be treated. But again double check what was given before worming again.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian