Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I adopted a beagle from the CSU labs. I am failing badly in

Customer Question
I adopted a beagle from...
I adopted a beagle from the CSU labs. I am failing badly in helping her. She is afraid of the dark, she is afraid of everything. She is finally not afraid of doors opening and such. When I take her out during the day, a trash truck sends her into a frenzy. She has knocked me down more than once. I do not have a yard, I live in an apartment, I work part time, but really awful hours. Going outside with her is so hard. She is really strong, my balance is not so great now. Older woman, 66. I do not know what to do. I have to kennel her when ever I leave the house. She will tear my house apart. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Katie's severe anxiety.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem and I understand how awful you feel, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.
In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• How long have you had her?
  • Have you already taken her to the vet to make sure she's otherwise healthy?
  • Have you already tried any treatment protocols to address her anxiety?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply.
Thank you.

In the meantime, I want you to know there is A LOT that can be done to try to help Katie. Some veterinarians are specially trained to deal with phobias and anxieties, and a successful treatment plan will incorporate medications and behavioral and environmental modification techniques to provide Katie with the relief she needs. While it isn't realistic to expect her to ever be "normal" without medications and a lot of training exercises, I want you to know she can live a quality life with a minimum of suffering from her symptoms.

I also want you to know it's completely okay if you cannot commit to the time and resources it would take to do this for her. She certainly qualifies as a special needs dog, and tackling such a complicated situation isn't for everyone. No judgement. No guilt. We all do our best.

I'll do my best to help you get in touch with the resources you need if your up to the challenge, but I'll also be equally supportive if you need to pursue other options so Katie can be in someone else's care to get the treatment she needs.

I know these things are all pretty difficult to talk about. Please do not take offense at anything I'm saying. I really do want to do my best to help.

I'll be going offline for the evening shortly, but will look for your reply when I login tomorrow.

Thank you.

Hi Kathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Katie. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian