Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Second opinion] - I have a min-pin, 10 yrs old,about 12-13

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I have a min-pin, 10 yrs old,about 12-13 lbs, who has both cushings and diabetes - she is presently on insulin 12 units twice a day, and vetoryl 10mg - 1 AM and 2 PM. She has had diarrhea for the last two days, kinda with pus in it. I have been getting her to eat a little so still giving meds. My question is should I continue to give her medicine while she has this diarrhea or should I stop the meds til the diarrhea clears up, and what can I give her to cure the diarrhea - She was hungry this morning - I gave her a can of baby food (chicken) and added some unsalted chicken broth, which she cleaned up right away, then had loose stool. My vet is closed for the holiday - would like some advice how to handle this - she seems to feel good and wants to eat this morning - I have been coaxing her to eat the last few days so I could give the meds but now I wonder if I should discontinue the meds til I get the diarrhea under control.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. My concern is that her adrenal glands may be suppressed too much with the Vetoryl. It can induce the opposite of Cushing's disease, which is Addison's disease. That is actually a more deadly disease and can present as lethargy, lack of appetite and just non-specific GI signs. If she was my patient. I would probably stop the Vetoryl until the diarrhea resolves and restart 3 days later. Ideally, I would check an ACTH stimulation test to see if there is induced Addison's disease. If her symptoms get worse after stopping the medications, though, I would highly recommend getting her seen by an emergency vet this weekend, but it may be an emergency situation. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marjorie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how your Min Pin is doing and to see if you have any further questions.