Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Should it be OK if a dog only urinates if you are with them

Customer Question
and only if you are...
Should it be OK if a dog only urinates if you are with them and only if you are with them even though they have a doggy door to get outside they should wait for you or someone to watch them do urine
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian

This isn't to extraordinary a problem and some dogs can be very funny and particular in their toileting habits. There is only so long that a dog can voluntarily hold on to their urine without the body over-riding this desire, forcing a urination. So if your dog really needed to go, then they would regardless as to whether someone is there or not. It would only really be from a clinical problem affecting the bladder or nerves of the bladder that could cause an inability to urinate and as such cause the complications associated with a blocked bladder.

So I wouldn't worry and continue to do what you are doing.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the dog is only trained to urine when there's another person to watch her. And she's a small dog. So what if your out of the house 8 hours and no one's home? Should this be an ok thing for a dog to behave?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry to ask so many questions. One more thing I forgot to add. If I was to get a small dog and have a doggy door installed. Should I train my dog the same way? Only urine when I'm around to watch or someone else in the family? to simply put it Is this a correct way to train your dog?

It is unusual to have a dog specifically trained to urinate only in the presence of another person. However, this length of time without someone being present shouldn't be a problem as if there is an absolute need to urinate, the dog's willpower/training couldn't overcome the bodys need to void urine. It isn't an ideal situation as retained volumes of urine can pose a higher chance of urinary tract infection. But the dog would unconsciously urinate before any issues arrive.

As far as house training a new dog. It wouldn't be of any benefit of advantage to train a dog to urinate only in the presence of a human. I would concentrate on it learning to urinate outside in the garden or on a walk rather than indoors.

Hope that makes sense

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very last question. The is a very unusual dog the owner claims the dog will and only urine if I'm there and if I'm not she's just gonna get a bladder infection or so it seems. So I'm asking to enlighten my friend that the dog should learn how to go on its own provided that dog has a doggy door which can easily walk to the back and urine? My friend thinks it's wrong of me not to let her go into while I'm there and the dog didn't go out to urine until my friend arrived home. So if I am in the wrong please let me know and if i am right that there is no way that the dog waited the whole day today and did urine at all on her own would you please provide me with some pros and cons to have a dog trained to use the bathroom without your presences there. And after this no more questions I promise

In an ideal world, I think it would be better for the dog to learn to urinate without the need for someone to be present. However, if this behaviour is already be learned, then it may be difficult to train out of it. Ideally, urinating outside when the dog chooses would be better.

If this behaviour continues (urinating only when someone is present) I cannot see any significant issues with it carrying on. The dog will not hold on willingly to urine until you are present. Urinary tract infections can occur more readily following periods of urine retention, but this is not a sure thing. . Allowing the dog to urinate outside without humans will simply allow for an easier routine all round (for dog and owner) reduce the periods or urine stasis (reducing the possibility of urinary tract infections) and most importantly, it allows the dog to exhibit a normal behaviour of scent marking whilst outside and urinating whilst exercised.

Regards

Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian