Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua male went outside when I got home from work

Customer Question
last evening at 10:30 he...
My chihuahua male went outside when I got home from work last evening at 10:30 he was fine at that time I got up at 2 p.m. today to go to work and the dog could not stand he was shivering and I took him to my vet did bloodwork which all came back normal they said he has permanent paralysis. My question is I had possums that were in my area I have not seen them for days now at my back gate I have a pony feed animal feed, I live in the middle of the city we don't have horses here and I'm wondering could he have ingested something such as arsenic that wasn't tested for that wouldn't show up in the blood please give me some suggestions. He's approximately 6 years old and has been always a very healthy and active Chihuahua never had any type of problems before.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He currently is prescribed Valium 10 mg TID; prednisone 5 milligrams daily; and RobaxinV 500 mg give 1/4 tab q 8hrs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Poor lad!

In regards ***** ***** question, while we cannot easily test for arsenic (often it requires tissue samples and can take weeks for results), exposure here is doubtful. This is because while it could cause paralysis, we'd have expected to see other signs as well. Specifically, this chemical tends to cause GI upset (ie vomiting, drooling, appetite loss), bloody diarrhea, restlessness, muscle weakness, trembling, staggering, shock, then paralysis, coma, and death. So, that isn't likely here nor are any other common toxins.

Instead, we'd be more wary of a severe spinal trauma, disc rupture or protrusion, spinal inflammation/infection/abscess/mass, or even fracture of the vertebrae around it (hopefully less likely if his vet took an xray). So, in this case, you have him on the right treatment to reduce inflammation. But if his signs persist, then you may want to speak to his vet about referral to a neurologist for an MRI to see which issue is present and whether there are treatment (ie removal of a disc, mass or abscess) options that can help get him back on his feet.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hi Lonna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian