Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 lb dog ate 1/2 of promethazine but it had a experation

Customer Question
date of 2009 JA: I'm sorry...
My 8 lb dog ate 1/2 of promethazine but it had a experation date of 2009
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: stella. A bichon
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about stella?
Customer: she 5 months
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. How long ago did she eat it?

What mg strength is the promethazine?

It is important to know the strength of the tablet so that I can calculate toxicity. I am sorry, but I am not able to take a phone call right now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
25 mg about one hr
I just need to know if this is poisoning to her
Google said no?
Said she would just be sleepy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It expired 2009 so hopefully not very strong?

give me a second to calculate. If she got the pill within the last 20 minutes, then I would make her vomit by giving her a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide by mouth.

So she got about a 7 mg/kg dose. The animal poison control center has reported toxic ingestions starting at about 20 mg/kg. So she got a much smaller dose. However, it is not wrong to try to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide if you have some. The effects of the promethazine are typically sedation, but it can cause a low blood pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even 1 Hr later ?

The stomach does not empty for up to two hours. I am not sure how quickly the tablet would dissolve, so difficult to say if it would still be of benefit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Is Stella acting normal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just sleepy but tail wagging

So possibly seeing the effects of the medication. She got well below the dose range that showed signs of toxicity in the report I read, so hopefully she will be fine. Do you have an emergency clinic near by?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No - 20 minutrs

So, that is not too far away if you feel that she is acting weak, unsteady on her feet. Having her monitored overnight may give you peace of mind. Feel free to ask additional questions. If you are satisfied with my response then please take time to rate my answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One more thing just found out
A supp not tablet in foil

the promethazine was a suppository? Was it still 25 mg?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but didn't get all and it had date of 2009

Okay, so if Stella did not get all of it, then she likely will not have severe effects. She may however have some diarrhea.

Does the package list the ingredients in the suppository?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No just said 25 mg
Supp promethazine HCI

then if no other active ingredients, then likely only have concerns for mild gastrointestinal upset. Puppies will eat the craziest things!!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's for sure I guess this fell out of a suitcase???!
Thank you

You are very welcome. Take care.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian