Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Vet gave me 15 Rimadyl 75mg for my 14 year old 82 pound

Customer Question

My Vet gave me 15 Rimadyl 75mg for my 14 year old 82 pound Golden to be taken once a day but t"m retired and the price is a bit hefty for me. I would like to know if there may be something over the counter for him?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: Noy sure how to spell aurtheritis.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: His legs and back. He wimppers when I don't have it for him and his legs don't work as well.
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He was at the vet and she said it was artheritis.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Murphy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Murphy?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Murphy is uncomfortable, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

It is very possible that prescription ant-inflammatory drugs from your vet are your best option, however I have known owners successfully treat arthritis in their older dogs with over the counter drugs of one sort or another. Their usual choice would usually be glucosamine and aspirin. { They can be given together } Let me tell you more ...

1. Glucosamine can and frequently is given to dogs for joint pain and arthritis. Many vets will prescribe the human formulation which is on open sale, my personal advice to clients is that a typical dose rate would be :

For dogs 25 to 50 pounds (15 to 25 kg), Two capsules every 24 hours.

For dogs 50 to 100 pounds (25 to 50 kg), Three capsules every 24 hours.

{ Based on a 500 mg glucosamine formulation }

Products like glucosamine are on the borderline between being a drug and a food additive and are regarded as being extremely safe and unlikely to cause any side effect.

2. Aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human anti-inflammatory drugs. A typical dose rate would be is 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgement whether to dose your dog with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Janice,

I am just checking back in to see how Murphy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the possible Rimadyl alternatives ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.