Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog woke up this morning, and can't put weight on her

Customer Question
left back leg. I was...
my dog woke up this morning, and can't put weight on her left back leg. I was going to give it a day or two, and if it didn't improve I would take her to the dr. I was wondering if I could give her ecotrin in the meantime
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wounds that I can see she also allows me to touch it and press to see if it hurts and she doesn't snip at me. which usually means to stop
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Morgan age 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Morgan?
Customer: black lab sheppard mix ... from a resuce
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Morgan is having this problem.

Has this problem happened in the past?

Has it improved throughout the day?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No It has never happened before, and it has not improved today

I see.

I would ideally recommend avoiding aspirin as it has a high risk of bleeding in dogs (regardless of the type of aspirin used).

Do you have any dog safe pain medications at home: rimadyl/carprofen, meloxicam/metacam, deramaxx, tramadol, or gabapentin?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No she is usually a healthy pup, however, my husband is a family doctor and can write a rx, but didn't know what and the dosage???

how much does your dog weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
about 45- 50 pounds

I see.

I would start with something more benign first until she is seen by the vet.

You can start with gabapentin. This would be 200mg every 12 hours at this weight.

If the vet feels an NSAID is necessary, then rimadyl/carprofen could be given at 50mg every 12 hours.

If there is no improvement with just gabapentin after 2-3 days and strict exercise restriction, she should be seen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this an antiinflammatory??? I just want something to help reduce any inflamaiton first, give her a day with rest and if it is still the same, then I will take her to the vet.

The Rimadyl is an anti-inflammatory/pain medication. If your dog is otherwise healthy with no problems this would be perfect to start with. It is not readily available at human pharmacies however, and this is the case with most dog safe NSAIDs. Gabapentin is readily available at human pharmacies. You can call around to see if your local pharmacy has Rimadyl (carprofen) as more and more human pharmacies are carrying pet medications.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks for your help. Have a good day

You are very welcome. I wish you both the best.

Have a great rest of your day!

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a wonderful day!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian