Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Just adopted a 10 week old Bernese Mountain dog. She ate her

Customer Question

Just adopted a 10 week old Bernese Mountain dog. She ate her first few meals fine but last night and this morning she vomited her meals. Yesterday we had our lawn treated with fertilizer containing pot ash and nitrogen. Puppy was eating some grass. Could vomiting be caused by the fertilizer? Should I keep her indoors for a time? Grass fold said it was safe.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok

The short answer is that eating fertilizer may create stomach upset and nausea/vomiting.

Nitrogen and potash are pretty typical fertilizer product ingredients. I am really pleased to see that there are no herbicides as part of this product.

None of these ingredients are truly toxic. But high levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. The more she ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see.

How is she otherwise?

Is she bright, alert and active?

Any fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?

My concern is that she was eating grass because she felt nauseous, and that the fertilizer may be an irritant but is not the real trouble.

Did you change her diet abruptly?

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors (like fertilizer), or an abrupt diet change.

More serious causes of vomiting in puppies include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction.

In a young dog, especially one that hasn't finished her vaccine series, a viral infection such as parvo virus or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction are big concerns. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response. Worms can cause loose stools, but rarely cause vomiting and lethargy.

Because she is young, this continues for more than a day, and she is lethargic ideally she would see a veterinarian now. Young puppies dehydrate easily and she needs fluids.

If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if she isn't responding quickly he should see a veterinarian promptly.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the vomiting and improve her appetite. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 6 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into her. If she refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it, she needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.

But if things go well and she does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular puppy food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, or if she refuses to eat even after the acid reducer is given she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Sue,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rumi. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your puppy, thank you, ***** *****