Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

First puppy died. Not moving. Red bottom. She still in labor

Customer Question
First puppy died JA: I'll do...
First puppy died
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?
Customer: Not moving
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the puppy. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Red bottom
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: Yes
JA: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?
Customer: She still in labor with the other puppies
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian

Any puppies that are still inside may be in danger if labor is prolonged. In cases like these, we have to ask what the priority is- i.e. mom's health or live puppies? If mom is more important, then medical management can be tried to help her deliver the puppies but the delay in the puppies being born may result in stillbirth. If a litter of live puppies is the priority (i.e. the breeding is a valuable one for protecting the line) then getting her to surgery for a c-section sooner rather than later is the best recommendation. If she continues to have puppies normally then let her have them but watch closely for trouble. Puppies should be no more than about 1-2 hours apart and a puppy should be produced for each hour of hard labor and active contractions. If she is contracting for longer than an hour or it has been longer than an hour between puppies, I recommend taking her to the nearest emergency facility for intervention. Additionally, each puppy should have a placenta and if there is a puppy without a placenta, then she should be treated for a retained placenta.

If you know how many puppies she is expecting and she appear to be having them normally then you can count the placentas and make sure there is one per puppy. As long as all of the puppies and placentas have been delivered then you can let her nurse them normally. If you do not know how many puppies she has in her then I recommend taking her to an emergency facility to have X-rays to look for other puppies that may be left inside. Depending on how she is doing you will have to decide about taking her to surgery or trying medical intervention.

Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian