Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Have A 1.5 year old 18 lb rat terrier. She has thrown up her

Customer Question
dinner and is shaking like...
Have A 1.5 year old 18 lb rat terrier. She has thrown up her dinner and is shaking like she is cold. Stool a bit earlier was very soft
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Tula is not feeling well.

I will need a little bit more information to better help you today.

Has she eaten anything she shouldn't have such as grass, toys, clothing, people food, etc?

Any recent change in diet or any new medications given recently?

What came up the vomiting and was there any blood or pink tinge to the vomit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No nothing has changed, nothing eaten but her food. I do not see anything in food or coloring.
Was happy and playful all day as usual. Eyes are not read, color on gums good. doesn't feel warm on ears or stomach.
Nose is cold

I see.

Any diarrhea?

Does she seem painful if you press on her belly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no belly pain, earlier today a bit soft/runny and this evening (not liquid like)

her signs are very nonspecific. They could be due to an upset stomach, stress, foreign object ingestion, dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, tumors, etc. We just don't know enough yet at this point.

Your options are to monitor at home: give a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice for the next 24 hours. You can also give a 10mg famotidine (pepcid AC) tablet every 12 hours. If there is no improvement, then you move to the other option which is heading to the vet for an exam and treatment/medical workup. You could alternatively head to the vet now, but if she is doing well otherwise it would not be wrong to wait.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

You are very welcome.

It is likely this is just an upset stomach and she needs a little time.

I wish you the best. Have a great day!

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a wonderful rest of your day!

Hi Patti,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tula. How is everything going?

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian