Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Around March or April my dog stopped hearing and I mean one

Customer Question
day he hears and the...
Around March or April my dog stopped hearing and I mean one day he hears and the next he didn't. After a few days I took him to the vet she cleaned his ears and gave me drops and benadryl. His hearing came back. About six weeks later it went out again, got more drops and his hearing came back. And now again he has lost his hearing. Can this be allergy related? He is going to be 11 in December he is a pure Doberman.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Bocce is having this problem.

Has he had many ear infections before this year?

Any itchy skin, chewing at the paws, red watery eyes, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Bocce has not had any ear infections or anything you have mentioned

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood you. It sounded like he was having an ear infection as that is typically going to be the only reason to put drops in the ears.

What is the exact medication (drops) he is/was getting for his ears?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You asked if he has had many ear infections before this and the answer was no. My vet was not sure if he even had an infection but perscribed the drops and benydryl . It helped, but he stopped hearing again after 6 weeks we got more drops after a week he could hear again and now he cant.

I see.

Any idea what the drop medication was?

Has any imaging been done yet: CT scans of the ears, scoping of the ears under sedation, or x-rays of the skull?

Does he seem painful or uncomfortable in the ears?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sorry I dont know the name of the drops. And nothing else has been done

I see.

Typically with intermittent hearing loss we worry about a couple things: external ear disease (think ear infections), nerve damage due to inner ear disease, rupture of the ear drum, tumors and cancer affecting the nerve, physical blockage, and some types of toxicities.

Without a physical exam and taking a good look in there it is hard to say what is going on.

Inflammation from allergies can lead to ear infections, which can lead to material buildup in the ears that prevents hearing. The only way to test for deafness is with a BAER test (brainstem auditory evoked response). This is done by a specialist (dermatologists do ears in vet med) and they must be anesthetized to do the test.

I think what I would start with is a visit to a dermatologist to have the ears evaluated to see why this is going with treatment and then coming back. They may want to culture the ear for abnormal bacteria or they may want to scope the ear under sedation.

Your vet can refer you to a dermatologist in your area.

If the ear exam is completely normal, they may want to do a CT scan to look at the middle and inner ear. This typically requires heavy sedation or general anesthesia. These would be the next steps.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a wonderful rest of your day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian